Are you suffering from cluster headaches? Perhaps it’s that good old stress and tension headache. Whichever kind it may be, try these 9 soothing neck stretches for your headache.
What is a headache
The headache and migraine glossary defines a headache as “Headache is a general term that refers to a persistent or lasting pain in the head region.”
So that is pretty broad, right? Let’s break down the types of headaches.
Types Of Headaches
There are three main types of headaches. They are:
- Tension Headaches
- Cluster Headaches
Wow, all this talk of headaches is starting to give me a headache!!
Migraines, unfortunately, are reoccurring headaches. They can be moderately painful or even debilitating. I have only ever had one in my life and I was down and out for three days. Not only do you get the headache from hell you also get nausea and sensitivity to light and sound.
Ever felt like a tight rubber band is wrapped around your head? Bingo that’s a tension headache. They are mild to moderate and the most common form of headaches.
Cluster headache consists of severe headaches on one side of the head. It is associated with symptoms that occur on the same side of the head that the pain is taking place on, and which can include red or teary eye, runny or stuffy nostril, and flushing or sweating of the face.
Where Do Headaches Come From?
- Underlying illnesses.
- Lack of sleep.
- Not wearing correct glasses for your vision.
- Exposure to loud noises like a concert or jackhammer.
- Wearing tight headwear. Yes, ditch that headband. You know which one I mean.
- Dysfunction in the nervous system.
How To Alleviate Headaches
- Releasing tension in the upper body.
- Apply a warm compress on your neck.
- Watch what you eat and drink! Perhaps you are consuming too much caffeine or perhaps its a sugar rush headache.
- Let go of what you can’t control. That is everything except for you. Stress is overrated these days.
- Hydrate with water or electrolytes.
- Avoid binge drinking. We all know what that headache feels like in the morning.
Medications affect the nerves system in the attempt to reduce the pain, whereas physical therapy works on the muscles and joints to elevate the pain. Going straight to the root cause, IF the headache is caused by muscle tension. People who experience frequent headaches benefit the most from physical therapy. With that being said, let’s get into it!
9 Calming stretches for headaches
Physical therapy techniques can be applied at the start of a headache to reduce pain and longevity. Stretching exercises can be helpful when the start of migraine occurs and to prevent ones in the future.
Upper Trapezius Stretches
Assisted Neck Stretch
Suboccipital Stretch and Release.
Forward fold with crossed arms
Forward fold chest opener
Video Guide On Neck Stretches For Headaches
When your next headache comes on you will be prepared for combat.
Is there something you would like me to write about? If so drop it in the comments below.
In happiness and health,
- Bridge Pose
- The Hypermobility Spectrum Score. What’s Yours?
- Chest Stand/Chin Stand
- Scorpion Pose
Share the love…
Get strong and flexible with my online flexibility classes and coaching.