Wanting to keep track of your middle split progression? You can use this simple test to measure the flexibility of your adductors.
Time needed: 5 minutes.
How to measure the flexibility of your adductors.
- Come to a seated position.
- Keeping the spine straight bring both soles of your feet together. This is known as a butterfly position for the yogis out there.
- Gently slide the soles of the feet as close to the groin that is physically comfortable. Don’t push it!
- Measure the distance between your groin and the soles of your feet
How To Measure Your Adductor Flexibility Test Results
|Very Good||10 cm|
Here Is a Handy Video Guide On How To Get Into Butterfly Pose.
What Are The Adductors?
The adductors are a group of muscles that stabilize the hips and attach the pelvis to the femur known as the thigh bone. This fan-like group of muscles is part of the functional lines of the body.
These lines enable us to give extra power and precision to the movements of the limbs. The functional line is less involved in standing posture than any of the others under discussion in this book. They involve superficial muscles, for the most part, that are so much in use during day-to-day activities that their opportunity to stiffen or facially shorten to maintain posture is minimal. (Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists, 2e)
As we don’t use the functional lines in our day to day posture it is easier for us to maintain our middle split with less maintenance compared to our front splits woo! In order to achieve a beautiful middle split in the air, you will need to work on your adductor’s dynamic flexibility. That means strength and range of motion.
The adductors are made up of the following muscles:
- Adductor Brevis
- Adductor Longus
- Adductor Magnus
How To Stretch The Adductors
There are several great stretches you can use for the adductors. Some of them include:
- Yogi Squat
- Straddle Forward Fold
- Straddle Side
- Goddess Pose
- Groin Standing Stretch
- Kung Fu Stance
Time To Get Flexible Adductors?
There is more to achieving your middle split than just increasing the flexibility in your adductors.
Try my free work out for increasing the flexibility in your middle split. If you want to keep track of your middle split progress then try these handy measurement methods.
I also have a mini-program on 11 Adductor Stretches to increase your flexibility and range of motion.
How To Measure Your Middle Split Progress
An adductor flexibility test helps you measure your split’s progress. I would recommend testing the flexibility of your adductors once a month.
As we discussed earlier there are several groups of muscles that make up the adductors. It is probable that you may have a different level of flexibility amongst the different muscle groups. Notice the area of tightness in the adductors and apply extra stretches to help open and loosen the muscles.
Adductor Flexibility Test To Measure The Depth Of Your Middle Split
Sitting upright take your legs out to both sides of your body. Using the wall as your buffer simply measure the distance between your groin and the wall.
Make sure to write down the distance of your results. I like to measure at the beginning of the month and at the end of the month. This allows me to track my progress and see my gains for the month.
Measuring The Depth Of Your Pancake Split
Simply take a wide stance and continue to move deeper into your split taking the groin as close to the ground as possible. Bring the chest forward towards the floor without changing the angle of the hips. You will need a friend to measure the distance between your groin and the floor. To make sure you are not cheating you can also perform this method against the wall.
How Do You Relieve Pain From The Adductors?
Pain in the adductors can be from delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), overstretching the area or pulling the groin.
DELAYED ONSET MUSCLE SORENESS
Some people can experience delayed onset muscle soreness. There are many reasons why this can happen. When we are stretching the adductors we can release a build-up of lactic acid into our body.
LACTIC ACID ACCUMULATION
When we apply pressure to areas of the body that the blood supply is insufficient to the muscle we release lactic acid. This brings fresh oxygenated blood into your muscles that you have been performing myofascial release on. Some people may experience slight bruising similar to a cupping session.
1. Using a hot and cold compress with help you with the muscle soreness. The heat relaxes the muscle while the cool helps with inflammation. Try placing the heat pack for twenty minutes on the affected area. Then alternate with a cold compress for twenty minutes.
2. When following an adductor stretch routine ensure that you rest your muscles. Remember Rome was not built in a day and neither is your flexibility.
3. You can take ibuprofen for inflammation.
4. Increase your protein intake this helps repair and rebuild your muscles.
Exercises To Work Your Adductors
Leg Side Raises
- Laying on your side elevate the top leg.
- Keep the knee straight and the leg straight.
- Bring the leg back to the starting position.
- Try three sets of ten.
Bent Leg Side Raises
- From the same position bend your knees.
- Ensure that your ankle is in line with the knee.
- The legs should be in a stacked right angle position.
- Keeping the feet together raise the top knee towards the sky.
- Then lower to the starting position.
- Try three sets of ten.
- Option to add a resistance band and bring the leg down in a controlled motion.
Wide Legged Squats
- Bring the legs to a stance slightly wider than the hips.
- Using a controlled motion bring the glutes down as if you were trying to sit on a chair.
- Return to the original position.
- Try three sets of ten.
I hope you enjoyed this article about measuring your flexibility performance. When we see results it is encouraging and we continue to focus on making the positive changes. Your split won’t happen overnight but you are the one in control of doing the work to get there!
Now that you have learned to strengthen the adductors, it’s time to start lengthening them. Start my complete guide to get your middle split.
How did you go with your adductor flexibility test? Are you going to start stretching them more?
In happiness and health,