Oxford Dictionary Defines Back bending as: a movement in gymnastics, dance, or yoga in which the body is arched backwards and downwards from an upright position until the hands touch the floor or arched upwards from a supine position, using the hands and feet for support.
Back Bending Variations:
- Back bending on feet and hands (Bridge).
- Back bending on knees (camel).
- Back bending on the chest known as chest stand and chin stand in dance.
- Back bending prone (cobra).
- Back bending on feet, (teardrop, drop back.)
- Back bending on hands (handstands.)
- Back bending on forearms (forearm stands.)
- Back bending in air (Back flips.)
Bridge Pose: Image below is a hollow back version of bridge.
Above: Scorpion Backbend on aerial straps.